As I celebrate birthdays and prepare for the next phase of life (being a mom of school-aged children), I am trying to treasure the simplicity and innocence of my little ones. I have to admit, sometimes playing games and eating imaginary meals cooked by them gets old. Yet when I think of how quickly they will lose interest in hanging out with Mom, I can smile over the millionth playing of Candyland.
I'm sure mine aren't the only kids that tell you exactly where they will be hiding when you play Hide and Seek. I love that they laugh as you look for them and peek out at you until you "finally" find them.
I love how Emma plays I Spy. She says things like "I spy something orange that's a basketball." Or "I spy something blue and I'm wearing it. It's my shirt."
I love that Kyle is amazingly silly. For no reason at all, he will decide he wants to walk everywhere backwards- or he will only travel on hands and knees with his head scraping the ground. He will make silly sounds, make up silly words, and once he has your reaction, you will see him repeat it a dozen times. I think he's destined to be a class clown.
I love Emma's silly wiggle dance.

I love that Emma still thinks she's a comedienne, even though she's not even close to telling a joke- ("Get it? Cheese? Get it?")
And most of all, I love that they are creative. They are imaginative in their play, as all young children are. When I happen upon something like this,

I wonder what in the world they were pretending. I hope that creativity never goes away as they grow older and life changes. I worry that it will be snuffed out of them, or that I will unintentionally snuff it out in the name of "being good" or "playing quietly while Drew sleeps". I am trying to relax a little more, have more fun, and just enjoy what special treat they "cook" up for me today.
1 comment:
Cute post!
Post a Comment