December 1, 2009

What would you do with 20 min?

Drew naps in 20 minutes bursts throughout the morning. For some reason he just can't stay asleep. I've tried everything I can think of- nothing works. Sometimes I can get him right back to sleep- sometimes it takes up to 45 minutes before he's ready to sleep again. Basically I spend my entire morning putting Drew to sleep. So I am somewhat limited in what gets accomplished each morning. In 20 minutes (give or take a few), I can do ONE of the following:
  • Fold a load of laundry
  • Wash some dishes
  • Get my kids dressed
  • Take a shower
  • Get ready for the day
  • Write a blog post
  • Balance the checkbook
  • etc
The problem is, I have to choose. Do I take a shower or clean up the kitchen? Do I fold those towels or brush my hair? I feel like I get nothing done- though I guess since my kids are clean and fed, we're doing okay.

Marcus was home for the long Thanksgiving weekend. It was really nice to have an extra set of hands. We spent the Thanksgiving meal with two other families in our ward who don't have family nearby- we did the meal potluck style and just had a nice relaxing afternoon.

The rest of the weekend was spent decorating for Christmas- I did the inside, Marcus did the outside. He HATES putting up lights, as he told me no less than five times. It turned out great, though.

There's something satisfying in decorating- even if it's not exactly Martha Stewart-worthy. Especially when it's something you made yourself.


I always wanted to put up these dishtowels but my kids always pull them right off. I saw this idea on a blog somewhere and wanted to kick myself- why didn't I think of it earlier? So far the towels have stayed in place! Thanks blog world!

We got in some tummy time while Drew was being happy- though he'd much rather lay there and stare than try to pick his head up. Not that I blame him. It's hard work being a baby.

Well, Drew is stirring once again. So I'm off to comfort him. And yes, I am here in my pajamas because I chose to catch up on my blog instead of showering. Maybe I'll get a shower in the next 20 min.

4 comments:

Annee said...

With only 20 minutes to spare, I'd probably end up sitting on the couch and staring at nothing. The pressure of deciding what to do would make me crazy!

Your house looks so festive! And Darin hates putting the lights up outside too. And he is never shy about telling me how much he hates it. They must be brothers or something :)

Diana said...

I liked your post so true with having to constantly decided what to do in short intervals, I hope the intervals get longer soon. Your house looks festive as always very nice.

Brooke said...

Your tree looks beautiful! Your post yesdterday inspired me to undecorate my tree (the way the kids had decorated it on Friday) and redecorate it the way I wanted it. And, it really only took about twenty minutes! I had been considering just letting it be the way it was....so thanks for your words.
Yes, I remember three being tough that way. With two, you could almost always count on at least one long stretch in the day when you could get something done....with three, it's nearly impossible to synchronize their schedules! Take care...

Laura McBride said...

I love the towels! Very cute. I'm sure you're going nuts but this too shall pass. I just hope it passes sooner than later!