April 30, 2009

It's a Miracle!

Last night at dinner we witnessed a miracle.

Emma ate a bite of dinner.

Just a little history- when Emma turned two, on advice of her doctor, we stopped serving her her own meals and only gave her what we were eating. Since that day, over two years ago, she has not touched a bite of what we've given her unless it was bread, mac n cheese, or grilled cheese. I've tried everything that everyone has suggested to get her to eat, and nothing has worked.

So yesterday, I thought, since she's older now, I'd try some of those methods again. I had her help me print up a chart with Mickey Mouse on it, and I told her if she took one bite of dinner, she could choose a sticker to put on the chart. If she gets 7 stickers, she gets to pick out a small toy at the store. Ahhhh- bribery. Anyway, it worked. Last night she picked up a lasagna noodle, put it in her mouth, and ate it.

The goal is to increase the number of bites after each reward. We'll see. I may not even be able to duplicate last night's success. But after two years of pulling my hair out over this issue- even one day's success had to be documented.

Wish us luck the rest of the week....

3 comments:

Laura McBride said...

Hooray for bribery! 'Motivational' charts like that are what helped me get Cade potty trained and to take a nap w/o having an accident. I hope Day 2 is as successful!

Amy, Mike and our Girls said...

Great behavioral technique!

Freddie Dawn said...

Braeden still has issues eating. He is totally the kid that says "I don't like that!" Eventhough he has had it a million times. SOOOO, he doesn't eat dinner-no snacks for the rest of the day. We had to be tough with him.