Can you tell what my kids are being for Halloween?

To me, there's a fine line on when you should buy a costume, and when you should make one. Sometimes you can make a costume with things you have around the house, or from your fabric stash. Sometimes you have to buy a few pieces, but can mix and match with your own stuff.
And sometimes, you'd have to buy material, base pieces like pants, embellishments, paint, etc. Plus there is the time involved. That is certainly worth money, don't you think?
I feel like I SHOULD make my kids' costumes. So when it seems fairly easy and cost effective, I do. But sometimes, it's just not worth it. And you know what? I still love my children. They are happy! So please don't judge me too harshly for buying the Buzz Lightyear costume. I just didn't think it was one that was worth the time and materials. Besides, I did have to alter a little to fit. I cut the pants to shorten them, then reattached them. Oh, and I hemmed the sleeves. That counts, doesn't it?
The Jessie costume, on the other hand, was easy, even though it's not perfect. A dress shirt and old jeans from Goodwill ($5.99), about $5 worth of fabric from the store, some Heat N Bond (on hand) and embroidery floss (on hand), and a few hours of my time= a great looking costume. Way better than the polyester jumpsuit at the store for $29.99.
I've still got a little to do- cuffs for Jessie.... accessories for both. I'll show off the finished products closer to Halloween.

2 comments:
Will you do anything to make her hair red or yarn-like like Jessies, or just do a cute hairstyle?
Don't feel the least bit bad about buying a costume it is what most of us like myself do that are not craft challenged but I am impressed with the jessie costume. You do good work your kids are lucky.
Post a Comment