November 15, 2010

Off to the Races!

I don't know how it happened.  Sometime in the past year or so, Marcus became a NASCAR fan.  Now, I myself, don't see much fun in cars driving around an oval 350 times.  I know they're fast and they're loud, and sometimes there are spectacular crashes, but still, the races hold only mild interest for me.

When Marcus' friend got tickets to the Nationwide Series race at Phoenix International Raceway, he jumped at the chance to go.  They left at about 6 am for a race that started at 2:30 pm.  I guess a NASCAR race is about more than just the race- it's the experience.  They got to see some cars "drift",


check out the cars and engines on display, 



This is from the upcoming movie The Green Hornet


shop the vendors,


and of course, eat some tasty tailgating food.



Eventually, the race started.  It was a beautiful day for racing!

  

 Carl Edwards won the race (and would go on to win the Sprint Cup race the next day).  Our kids like to see their favorite drivers on TV, so Marcus brought them home some shirts.  We are fostering a rivalry early.



Phoenix hosts a race twice a year.  I wonder if this means Marcus will want to go to the next one.  NASCAR- who knew?

No comments: