August 27, 2011

Rose Garden Round-up

Last night we went to our ward party, the Rose Garden Round-up.  It was sure eventful!

First of all, it was good to see such great turn-out.  A lot of times our ward hasn't been great at supporting activities, but last night there were tons of people there!

We started out with dinner- sloppy joes and hot dogs, veggies, and chips.


Many people brought desserts to share.  I brought Cake Batter Blondies.



They weren't the hit I thought they would be, even though they are super delicious.  The recipe is here if you want to try them yourself.  I guess that means there are plenty left over for us to enjoy!


After dinner, Dusty the Singing Cowboy put on a show for the families.



It wasn't such a great thing for my kids.  All the kids were given straw cowboy hats to wear, and as Dusty walked his (real) horse into the gym, the horse decided Kyle's hat would be good to eat.  Unfortunately, it was fastened under his chin, and as the horse lifted up the hat into his mouth, it choked Kyle.  Luckily, a good friend grabbed him, and comforted him, as I was dealing with Drew in the corner.

See, Drew doesn't like animals at this point in life.  He is even afraid of our giant teddy bear.  So when I put him down for a minute so I could grab the camera, he freaked out and started screaming and crying.

Mother of the year award-- pass it on over!  Make one kid scream and cry while missing your other child get choked by a horse.

Anyway, they also had fun activities like "bull riding", roping, and an obstacle course for the kids to ride stick ponies through.


Sorry these are blurry- my camera doesn't
quite capture "action shots" cleanly.

I'd say everyone had a rootin' tootin' good time.  Except maybe Kyle.  He's afraid of horses now.  He might be scarred for life.

No comments: