Two short days of recovery after our trip, Grandpa Steve flew in for a visit. That means we had an excuse to get all the Arizona Earnests together.
Friday we met up with Chelsea and Taylor at BJ's Restaurant for a Pizookie. And dinner.
Saturday, we drove down to Todd and Amber's for a BBQ and some fun with the cousins. I discovered that Drew is terrified of dogs, as is Emma. After some delicious food, we made our way to the Mesa Freedom Festival. The kids jumped on bouncy houses and we tried to make our way through the crowds to check out the vintage cars and fun booths.
I should mention that the high was 118 that day.
I think we must have been crazy.
At 8:45, we had had enough, and headed for home. We saw a fireworks show on the way home, then watched the local show from our front step when we got to our house. It was a late night for my early risers.
Sunday was the big day. See, Steve flew in because Marcus wanted him to be the one to ordain him to be a high priest. That's right- Marcus was called to be in the bishopric for our ward. 2nd Counselor, to be precise. Thanks to Todd and Amber's family, and Chelsea and Taylor, for coming up to join us for that special day. We are excited about his opportunity to serve in this way, but of course apprehensive of the changes it will bring. He will be gone on Sundays and evenings during the week a lot more, and I will now be wrangling my three young children in the pew by myself. The only thing I can think is that they are getting older, and (mostly) better at being reverent each week, so it will only get better from here.
After church, we had a quick family lunch, and then Steve was off to the airport. Thanks for coming, Grandpa- we loved having you here!
Monday was the actual 4th of July, as you know. Marcus went golfing with some friends (the high was only 108), and my friend Anissa and I took the kids to see Cars 2. Then we got lunch and did a little shopping. The kids swam in our little backyard pool all afternoon, and we celebrated the 4th with a little BBQ and some legal-to-buy-but-not-to-use fireworks. We just used sparklers and pop-its, actually, which were approved to use here in Phoenix.
I am thankful to live in America, and thankful for the freedoms we enjoy. I appreciate our armed forces for serving so faithfully in times of war and peace. I can't think of a better gift than spending a holiday with friends and family. I hope your 4th was just as fun.
2 comments:
That is some BIG news! Marcus will do a fantastic job! May the Lord bless your family! (and help maintain your sanity val! :)
Wow good luck Marcus. You will do great, who is the bishop?? I hope your kids will be kind to you Valerie. Glad you had a fun 4th.
Post a Comment