December 20, 2010

When there's sickness at home

Last Christmas, I had a two month old who wouldn't sleep and who basically screamed much of the time he was awake.  We did little to no Christmas activities outside the home.  I just couldn't handle it.

This year, I was determined to have some fun with the kids.  We would go to Glendale Glitters- see the lights, explore the booths, jump in the bounce house, have treats....  We would go to our ward Christmas party and have fun with our friends.  We would drive around and see the Christmas Light displays in the neighborhood. We planned them all for this weekend.

Then, we got sick.

Emma had strep and a viral infection. The virus moved quickly throughout the house.  So far everyone has had a taste of it.  Marcus is still hanging on to the couch for dear life.  Needless to say- we did not get to do any of the activities we had planned for this weekend.  Two urgent care visits, three trips to Walgreens, and two prescriptions later- it's Monday and we missed out.

I think I was more disappointed than the kids.  I just wanted it to feel like the holidays, and when you're just sitting around your house all the time, you lose some of that.

So, we made Christmas cookies.  This year I got smart and baked them ahead of time- so when the kids were feeling a little better, I mixed up the frosting and let them have at it.




Sunday was our ward Christmas program.  I sang a song and played my flute.  Luckily I was only a little sick, so I was able to perform as I needed to.  I also taught the Christmas sharing time lesson in Primary- which went pretty well.

Part of my lesson discussed how it would have felt to look at that sweet baby in the manger, and to know you were looking at the future Savior of the world- what a special baby he was.  I taught those words as my own baby had fallen asleep in my arms- I held him as I spoke of the baby Jesus.  I know how much love I have for Drew- how much promise he holds- how much I hope for his future.  I can only imagine how Mary felt as she held the Savior- knowing, as she did, who He really was.

I know Christmas isn't truly about the lights, the presents, and the activities.  I am grateful I have my family around me for the holidays, so we can remember the birth of the Savior and celebrate His birth and life--together.  Even if we're all still sick.




Merry Christmas to all of our friends and family- near and far.  "And a Happy New Year!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad the program turned out okay! I read on Facebook that you were getting sick right beforehand, so thank goodness it held off just enough! I loved your thoughts about Mary - it's incredible how those baby boys can bring Christmas home :) I hope you guys feel better and can enjoy this last week of the holiday!

Diana said...

so not fun to be sick such a bummer it seems like the flu is all over the country so far we have only had a little bit of it I hope it stays that way. Have a great Christmas hope you will all be better by then.