September 20, 2010

A New Kind of Routine

Since Emma started school, we've been settling into a new routine.  Half-day kindergarten is short, and the three hours she is gone just fly by.  Still, it's amazing how much more I can get done when I'm not breaking up fights every other minute.

Emma has taken to school like a fish to water.  She loves it.  She thrives on it.  She runs off from the drop-off spot each morning without a second thought.  She does well on her school work and homework, and she is excited to return each day.

It's just me and the boys.  Kyle watches a little TV, Drew takes a little nap, I do a little exercising and cleaning, and then I have time to play with them.


We pick Emma up from school, the kids eat lunch, and then Emma does her homework while Kyle "learns" from his preschool workbook.  After lunch, quiet time is still in order, where I can craft or read, and then it is busy craziness until dinner and bedtime.

Sometimes new and different things happen.  This weekend I got to be part of a surprise for my sister-in-law Chelsea, who is getting married in November.  My mother-in-law and sister-in-law Julie flew in to surprise her for her bridal shower.  They stayed at my house so Chelsea didn't know they were there until they walked in to the shower.  It was a lot of fun.  I gave her these fun kitchen staples along with some mixing bowls from her registry.



Then I got to be the chauffeur as we drove around making preparations for the wedding.  It's going to be a fun reception, Earnest clan!

Kyle got to pick out a toy this weekend for completing his "potty" chart.  I don't like to go into too much detail for everyone, but it's been a struggle potty training him, and he worked very hard on this reward.  So while I was off with the girls, Kyle picked out his toy.



Marcus helped him build a Lego Toy Story spaceship, complete with Buzz and the "ee-pull whopper-er" Zurg.  I don't think he's stopped playing with it since Saturday.

So, life goes on.  Nothing earth-shattering, nothing too out-of-the-ordinary.  Usually, it's just another day.

2 comments:

earnestendeavors said...

I'm so glad you said you "got to be the chauffeur". I was a little worried you were getting tired of your assignment as we entered the 6th hour of shopping. Thanks again for having me! It was fun to see you and spend a little time with the kids.

Diana said...

glad you guys are doing well and Emma is enjoying school. I have to admit I am not too sad that it is all day kindergarten here. Sure miss you guys.